Thursday 20 October 2011

My Life in 4 Objects

Childhood
Monkey Teddy

The name Teddy Bear comes from former United States President Theodore Roosevelt, whose nickname was "Teddy". Morris Michtom saw the drawing of Roosevelt and the bear cub and was inspired to create a new toy. He created a little stuffed bear cub and put it in his shop window with a sign that read "Teddy's bear," after sending a bear to Roosevelt and receiving permission to use his name. The toys were an immediate success and Michtom founded the Ideal Novelty and Toy Co. By 1906 manufacturers other than Michtom and Steiff had joined in and the craze for "Roosevelt Bears" was such that ladies carried them everywhere, children were photographed with them, and Roosevelt used one as a mascot in his bid for re-election. Early teddy bears were made to look like real bears, with extended snouts and beady eyes. Today's teddy bears tend to have larger eyes and foreheads and smaller noses, baby like features that make them more attractive to buyers because they enhance the toy's cuteness, and may even be pre-dressed.

My teddy is a monkey which is a more popular toy that has been developed from bears to other novelty toys. I have had my monkey since my fourth birthday. We went to Sundown Adventure Land for the day and I got the monkey from their gift shop.




Early Teenage
Sellotape

Sellotape is generally used for joining, sealing, attaching and mending. The term has become agenericised trademark in Britain, and is used much in the same way that cellophane and scotch tape came to be used in America, referring to any brand of clear adhesive tape. The Sellotape brand now covers a variety of tape products, and the word is frequently used to refer to other adhesive tapes in many countries due to its market exposure. As an example of agenericised trademark, it has an entry in the Oxford English Dictionary.

When I was younger I always had Sellotape in my hand and I used to cut and stick all the time. It is one thing that when thinking back I can remember having and doing. "Where’s the Sellotape gone??”... "Ask Grace she will have it."



Late Teenage
I-pod Touch

IPod is a line of portable media players created and marketed by Apple Inc.  As with many other digital music players, iPods can also serve as external data storage devices. The iPod line was announced by Apple on October 23, 2001, and released on November 10, 2001. Apple's iTunes software can be used to transfer music to the devices from computers using certain versions of Apple Macintosh and Microsoft Windows operating systems.

My iPod touch was the second I-Pod that I owned and at the time I had it I never put it down or turned it off, but now I have an I-Phone 4 which has the I-Pod software on it. This means that I don't use my I-Pod touch any more. This is what makes my I-Pod disposable and gives it a short life.



Present
Car Keys

A car key can open the doors, as well as start the ignition, open the glove compartment and also open the boot of the car. Keyless entry systems, which use either a door-mounted keypad or a remote control in place of a car key, are becoming a standard feature on many new cars. Some of them are hands free. Some high-tech automotive keys are billed as theft deterrents.

My car keys are something that I have with me constantly because I drive to most places. If my car was taken from me then it would be like cutting my legs off because I am so reliable on my car and keys.


No comments:

Post a Comment